Things have been all aflurry (yes, I totally just made that word up) at our house as of late. On those busy weeknights when we need a quick dinner but don’t want to (would not ever, in fact) resort to the drive-thru of a fast food restaurant, we opt for sandwiches. This is my go-to recipe for a tasty, wholesome loaf of bread with a ton of flavor. Most recently, we opted for spinach artichoke grilled cheese sandwiches and they were divine. The fact that this is a bread machine recipe makes it all the simpler to make. Enjoy!
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
- Combine cottage cheese, water and butter in small saucepan and heat until just warm (120 degrees). Once warm, add mixture to bread machine pan.
- Add remaining ingredients to bread machine pan in order listed, being careful to sprinkle sugar around perimeter of bread machine pan on top of flour. Prior to adding yeast, form a shallow well in the center of the flour (but don't go all the way down to liquid) and pour yeast into the well.
- Program your bread machine for the dough setting and start it.
- Once the dough is complete, remove from the bread pan and shape into a loaf. Place in a well-greased loaf pan. Place it in a warm, dark place and allow it to rise for an hour. Tip: I allow my dough to rise in a closed oven with a bowl of hot water.
- Brush top of loaf with egg white and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake at 350 for twenty-five minutes or until golden brown.