In honor of my firstborn daughter’s 21st birthday, I’m sharing a very special cocktail that you are definitely going to want to make the next time someone you love adds another candle to the birthday cake.
This, my friends, is the ultimate in celebratory margaritas. Made using boxed cake mix, our birthday cake margarita is not too sweet but definitely allows a cake-y flavor to take center stage. Rimmed with powdered sugar icing and sprinkles, you can bet this is the most fun and festivity one can drink from a cup.
Just look at how fun that is! The drink itself boasts a beautiful vanilla cake color and then the sprinkles? They not only add a pop of color but with each sip, they seal the birthday cake flavor in this drink.
You want to know the best part? You don’t need any crazy liqueurs to whip this baby up. Besides your typical margarita ingredients, the only additional ingredient you’ll need is a boxed cake mix. Do yourself a favor and try this margarita, STAT!
- 3 oz. Cointreau
- 6 oz. Freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 8 oz. Birthday cake simple syrup (recipe follows)
- 8 oz. Tequila
- 4 oz. Water
- 6 tablespoons Boxed cake mix (yellow works best)
- 2 oz. Sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-3 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine water, sugar and cake mix in a small saucepan and whisk gently to combine. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Stir continually until sugar and cake mix dissolve. Mixture will thicken and the cake mix will sort of rise to the top. It's fine. Once sugar and cake mix are dissolved, turn off heat and set syrup aside to cool.
- Combine all ingredients in a mason jar. Shake vigorously to mix.
- Combine powdered sugar, one teaspoon milk and vanilla in a small bowl. Whisk thoroughly until no lumps remain. Add additional milk as needed. Glaze should be thick--like the consistency of glue.
- Pour sprinkles into a small bowl.
- Invert serving glasses into glaze, one at a time. Quickly, before the glaze sets, invert glazed serving glass into sprinkles. Place rimmed glass in the freezer while you rim the remaining glasses.
- Fill glasses with desired amount of ice. Pour margarita over ice. Serve immediately.
- Makes approximately four servings
You might also like: