Raise your hand if soccer, dance classes and various other extra-curricular activities have you going so many different directions you can’t hardly catch your breath. Good news, friends: I’ve got a really yummy potato, sausage & asparagus sheet pan dinner to the rescue.
I have a few go-to dinners busy nights. Most of them involve a crock-pot, but the one I’m ’bout to share with you is an oven meal. It’s totes perfect for early fall nights when you’ve poured a glass of Chardonnay and you’ve got the windows open and that crisp air is mingling with your favorite pumpkin spice candle to make your house smell uh-mazing and you have an hour tops to knock out the whole dinner thing. Yes. This dinner is perfect for that night. It’s insanely easy to whip up but even better than that is the fact that it’s not all that bad for you and it’s delicious.
I was lucky enough to find a package of organic Rainbow Gem Fingerling potatoes at Whole Foods to use in this dish, which made it especially aesthetically pleasing. If you can’t find those, you can totally sub in plain ol’ fingerling potatoes or red potatoes or even Yukon Gold. Also, we like Aidell’s chicken and apple sausage around these parts so we use it. You can use any brand your little hearts desire.
- 2 lbs. fingerling potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 links of chicken sausage (or pork or beef if you prefer)
- 1 bunch of fresh asparagus
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1/4 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spray a 9x13" baking pan with cooking spray.
- Scrub potatoes until skin is clean. Cut in half lengthwise. Place potatoes in the prepared pan and toss with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Roast in preheated oven for approximately 25 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender but not crispy.
- While the potatoes roast, prepare your sausage links by cutting them into thin slices. When the potatoes are ready, remove pan from the oven and add sausage to the pan, tossing them with the potatoes to coat in oil and seasonings. Add more salt and pepper if desired. Return pan to the oven and roast for another fifteen minutes.
- While the potatoes and sausage are roasting, prepare your asparagus by snapping off the ends and washing well. Cut on a diagonal into spears that are about 1.5-2" long.
- Remove pan from the oven and add asparagus and whole grain mustard. Toss with the potatoes and asparagus to coat. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Return pan to the oven and roast for an additional ten-fifteen minutes.
- Remove pan from the oven. Squeeze lemon juice over the dish and then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
You should make this one sooner than later. Your schedule (and tummy) will thank me.