I don’t know about you, but on the rare occasions that we go out to breakfast, I’m all about ordering something savory. Don’t get me wrong; I love pancakes, french toast and waffles every bit as much as the next girl. But those things are so easy to make at home. If I’m going to pay to have somebody cook for me, I want to be wowed by something creative or complicated.
I recently tagged along with my husband on a business trip to Boston. The day before we were to fly home, we stayed a night in New Hampshire and had the opportunity to go out to breakfast at The Friendly Toast restaurant in Portsmouth. The menu was drool-worthy; I had a hard time choosing what to eat. In the end, I settled on what they called “New Hampshire’s Finest.” I was not disappointed with my choice. It was a breakfast scramble with goat cheese, asparagus, scallions and bacon. I thought it would be easy enough to replicate at home and I was right. Don’t take my word for it. Try it now. Thank me later.
Asparagus scramble with bacon & goat cheese
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 c milk
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 3 green onions, rinsed and sliced
- 4 oz. soft goat cheese
- 1 Tablespoon chives, rinsed and chopped
- Place bacon in a room temperature cast iron skillet and cook over medium heat to desired level of crispiness. When the bacon has finished cooking, remove it from the pan and set it aside on several paper towels to soak up some of the grease. When the bacon is cool enough to handle, crumble it into bite-sized pieces.
- Toss trimmed asparagus with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Spread asparagus in an even layer on a foil-rimmed baking sheet and roast at 425° for ten minutes, or until just tender. Remove the asparagus from the oven. When asparagus is cool enough to handle, slice it into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Combine eggs and milk in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly. Place butter in medium skillet and melt over medium heat. Add eggs to skillet and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook and stir until eggs are almost set, about three minutes. Add crumbled bacon, asparagus pieces, goat cheese and green onions to eggs. Continue cooking until eggs are completely set. Remove from heat and top with chopped chives.
- Serve with breakfast potatoes, if desired.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 2263kcal Calories from fat 1726|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 192g||295%|
|Saturated Fat 78g||390%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||24%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|