I teased this recipe on the Such the Spot Facebook page over the weekend and it took everything I had to wait until today to post it. You guys, this recipe is a must try. The idea was born a few weeks ago when my handsome husband and I stopped for lunch at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants. The server came by and offered their margarita of the month–autumn pear–and I was tempted. I didn’t order it for three reasons:
- It not being happy hour, a single margarita is priced at $9 at that particular establishment and I’m
- The margaritas we buy out are typically not strong enough for my tastes.
- It being lunchtime, it was not yet five o’clock here.
Okay, you got me. That last one has never stopped me before and it didn’t factor into my decision then, either. Still, my curiosity was piqued. Jeff and I decided right then and there that we were going to start a new Margarita of the Month feature here on the Spot. I suppose it would be prudent to wait until January for the first installment, the first of the year being a prime time to start fresh and all, but that’s not how I roll. Anyway, I couldn’t possibly keep this recipe to myself for that long–not when countless hostesses across America are searching high and low for the perfect signature cocktail to add to the Thanksgiving menu. Seek no further, my friends, this is it.
My husband has a gift for developing beverage recipes and this is no exception. One thing to note is that you will need pear liqueur; we picked ours up at Total Wine for about ten bucks. I recommend you grab some the next time you’re out and try this margarita without delay. No really. You will not believe the depth of flavors in this insanely smooth and unbelievably delicious drink. You can thank me later.
Autumn spiced pear & vanilla bean margarita
For the margarita
- 9 oz silver tequila
- 6 oz pear liqueur (we used Drillaund)
- 4 1/2 oz fall spice simple syrup (recipe follows)
- 6 oz lime juice
For the fall spice simple syrup
- 3/4 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 Tablespoon whole cloves
- Peels from 1 pears (preferably organic)
- 1 vanilla beans, sliced lengthwise
- Whole nutmeg *optional
- Allspice berries *optional
- 1/2 cups sugar
To make the simple syrup
- Combine water, cinnamon stick, cloves, pear peels, vanilla beans, and nutmeg and allspice (if using) in a covered, medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Turn off heat and allow the mixture to infuse for at least an hour. After the hour (or more) has passed, return mixture to simmer over medium heat. Add sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved. Strain over fine mesh colander into a mason jar.
To make the margaritas:
- Combine tequila, pear liqueur, simple syrup and lime juice in a serving glass and stir gently. Serve over ice.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 493kcal Calories from fat 3|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|