These Bailey’s Irish Cream Caramel Brownies are a rich treat, perfect for when you’re craving something ooey and gooey and sweet. Because they’re made with Bailey’s Irish Cream, they’re also quite fitting for St. Patrick’s Day desserts. Or a potluck. A birthday at the office. Basically, anyone with taste buds will love you for bringing this recipe into his or her life.
True confession from my kitchen: these Bailey’s Irish Cream Caramel Brownies did not turn out anything like what I was going for when I developed this recipe. I was aiming for more of a layered bar with a creamy filling. I don’t mind telling you, though, that in this case, failure tastes like sweet success. The result of my experimentation is a decadent dessert. More fudgy than cake-like, these brownies have deliciously chewy edges and are dang near perfection on a plate.
The secret here is the addition of a silky smooth Bailey’s concoction. This is not one of those recipes in which the namesake ingredient is indiscernible. Rather, each velvety bite offers the rich flavor you’d expect were you to bring a glass of Bailey’s to your lips.
The aforementioned caramel in these Bailey’s Irish Cream Caramel Brownies comes from caramel chips (you know, like chocolate chips but caramel). My local Target store has them readily available but if you have trouble finding caramel chips, you can get them from Amazon.
In our house, chocolate isn’t the hands-down favorite when it comes to treats. We lean more towards fruit cobblers and various cookies. I have to tell you, though, that my husband could not get enough of these brownies. He tends to like most everything I cook or bake, but saying that he liked these brownies is a gross understatement. He could not stop raving about this recipe and ended up sneaking the last one into his lunch box and taking it with him to work. Apparently there’s something magical about the chocolate/Irish whiskey/caramel combo.
In any case, I do hope you’ll give these a try and let me know if you enjoy them.
BAILEY'S IRISH CREAM CARAMEL BROWNIES
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Bailey's Irish Cream
- 1 1/4 cup caramel flavored chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 325º. Lightly grease a 13x9 inch pan.
- Combine sugar and eggs in the bowl of an electric mixer. Using the paddle attachment, beat on low speed just to combine. Add the melted butter and vanilla. Mix well.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the flour, cocoa powder and salt. Turn the speed to medium and beat just until the mixture is combined.
- Spread 2/3 of the brownie batter on the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for fifteen minutes.
- While the brownies are baking, combine Bailey's Irish Cream, caramel chips and butter in a medium saucepan. Cook over low-medium heat, stirring constantly. The caramel chips may be stubborn to melt, so just keep stirring. When just pebble-sized bits of caramel chips remain, remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk until the mixture is completely smooth.
- After the brownie base layer has baked for fifteen minutes, remove the pan from the oven and spread the Bailey's/caramel mixture evenly over the top, being careful to avoid the edges of the pan.
- Drop remaining 1/3 of the brownie batter on top of the Bailey's mixture in spoonfulls, allowing the Bailey's layer to show through. You will have a somewhat marbled looking pan of brownies.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for an additional 45 minutes, or until the brownies are set and begin to pull away from the edges of the pan.
- Cool pan on a wire rack before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 313Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 105mgFiber: 1gSugar: 28gProtein: 3g
You might also enjoy: