If you watch food shows, you’ve probably noticed the trendyness of deconstructed dishes. This BLT Grilled Romaine Salad with Creamy Gorgonzola Vinaigrette, my friends, is my version. It’s a deconstructed BLT, hold the carbs. It starts with a base of grilled romaine, which I admit sounds kind of funky but you really needn’t be afraid. Grilled romaine–when done right–retains its texture and has an increased depth of flavor. Jeff and I topped our grilled romaine with crumbled applewood smoked bacon, chopped tomatoes and Gorgonzola. From there, we dressed it with a creamy, mustard-y Gorgonzola vinaigrette. The results? Well, let’s just say that every single plate on the dinner table was licked clean.
For the salad
- 6-10 Romaine hearts, cut in half lengthwise, rinsed and patted dry
- Olive oil for brushing
- 10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 pint of cherry or grape tomatoes, rinsed and quartered
- 4 oz crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
For the vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (I used Sauvignon Blanc)
- 3 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon honey
To make the vinaigrette:
- Place all ingredients in a blender and mix well. Check the taste and adjust as needed.
To make the salad:
- Heat a grill to medium-high. Brush the romaine heart halves with olive oil. Place romaine hearts on grill and cook for about five minutes total, turning occasionally. When romaine is done, place each wedge on a plate. Sprinkle bacon, quartered tomatoes and crumbled Gorgonzola over the romaine wedge. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Serve immediately.
You might also enjoy: