The Wolfgang Puck Express restaurant in Downtown Disney was a family favorite since the very first time we visited Walt Disney World. We’ve enjoyed several lunch and dinner meals there, but never made it up early enough to try breakfast. Until our most recent family trip, that is. Back in March, we stopped by WPE for a quick breakfast before heading to Typhoon Lagoon.
The meal was delicious.
So much so, in fact, that we added a second WPE breakfast to our schedule so that we could try another of the mouth-watering breakfast options. It was on that second visit that I discovered breakfast pizza. I kept telling myself that I wouldn’t eat the whole thing, but, well, I ate the entire thing. Which is why it is a darn good thing calories don’t count on vacation.
In any case, I loved the breakfast pizza so much that I decided to duplicate it at home. It may have taken me until August to get it done, but in this case good things most definitely come to those who wait. Try this pizza. You’re welcome and I’m sorry.
- 1 recipe of your favorite homemade pizza dough
- 8 oz. grated mozzarella cheese
- 4 oz. grated cheddar cheese
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 slices of cooked, crumbled bacon
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 T. diced chives
- Roll your pizza crust out to desired thickness. Set aside in a warm, moist place to let rise. Meanwhile, caramelize the onion by preheating a saute pan over medium high heat. Add about one teaspoon of olive oil after the pan is hot. Reduce heat to low. Add the onion slices and stir to coat the onion with the oil. Spread the onion slices over the pan and cook for thirty minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally. Add more oil as needed to keep the onions from burning. They are fully caramelized when they are a rich, deep brown color. While your onion is caramelizing, scramble the eggs. Cover with foil and set aside.
- Preheat a grill to high heat. Place your crust on the grill and cook until the bottom is golden brown. Remove crust from grill to a nearby workspace. Flip crust so that the cooked side is facing up. Sprinkle grated mozzarella cheese evenly over the cooked side of the crust. Continue assembling pizza by sprinkling on cheddar cheese and evenly spreading scrambled eggs, caramelized onions, crumbled bacon and diced tomatoes over the cheese. Using a pizza skin or cutting board and spatula, return pizza to grill and cook over medium flames until the crust is nicely crisped and the cheese is bubbly and melted. Be careful not to char the crust. Sprinkle with chives and serve immediately.