Oh em gee. It is so freaking cold. The weather app is calling this cold spell a ‘bomb cyclone’ and poor little Floridian iguanas are falling out of trees. My kids have a two-hour school delay all week due to extreme temperatures. You guys, my blood is entirely too thin for daily highs that read more like movie sequels than temperatures. You can bet your sweet little frozen patootie that I’m hunkered down by the fire with something toasty in a steamy mug. Mostly, I’m minding my post-holiday calories and opting for tea but I’d be lying if I didn’t fess up to indulging in a cuppa something indulgent today. Behold: my Brownie Batter Sipping Chocolate recipe.
I have my own favorite version of homemade hot cocoa mix. This is not that. This, my friends, is a ridiculously indulgent rich and silky smooth sipping chocolate best savored by a warm fire with good friends. Unlike some of the fancy recipes those celebrity chefs would try to coerce you into, my Brownie Batter Sipping Chocolate recipe is so totally and completely easy. Really. It calls for a grand total of three ingredients — four if you want to top things off with marshmallows or whipped cream (and if you don’t want to top things off with marshmallows or whipped cream are you even human?).
You may already have everything you need to whip up a frothy cuppa right this very instant. You’ll need bittersweet chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, and whole milk. Do you have those things? If not, a grocery stop is certainly in order.
And if you do have to go to the grocery store, you might want to make it a quick trip. Bomb cyclones are kinda scary. No less so than falling iguanas. Stay safe, friends. And warm.
- 2 14 oz. cans of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 4 cups whole milk
- whipped cream or marshmallows (optional)
- Combine two cans of sweetened condensed milk in a 2 qt. saucepan. While stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- When bubbles form around the edges of the pan, remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until melted thoroughly.
- In a separate saucepan or in the microwave, steam the milk to your desired temperature.
- Add 1/4 - 1/2 cup of the chocolate mixture (1/4 for a mild chocolate taste or 1/2 cup for a very rich beverage) to each mug and top with up to one cup of steamed milk. Use a miniature whisk or a small spoon to mix thoroughly. Top with whipped cream or marshmallows if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 993Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 362mgFiber: 3gSugar: 144gProtein: 25g