I spent many years of my life as a poultratarian–you know, someone who forsakes all other meats in favor of poultry. During that phase, I was strictly limited when it came dinner time. One of my go-to’s was white chicken chili. Since then, I’ve graduated ever so slightly to including limited non-poultry meats into my diet, but if I’m being honest, I have to tell you that poultry still reigns supreme on our weekly menus. When it comes to chili, I have two recipes that I rely on. The first is a turkey & chicken sausage 3-bean chili with a splash of tequila. The second is this Crock Pot White Chicken Chili. Both recipes make delicious meals on chilly nights, but I can’t choose a favorite. I love this version because it’s satisfying and comforting but in a lighter, tangier way than a traditional chili.
Perhaps the best part, though, is that this recipe uses real food ingredients. You won’t find any mysterious “cream of” canned soups here. I use dry beans, chicken stock and seasonings from my spice rack to create layers of authentic flavors with depth.
Here’s the best part, though. Because it’s made with the help of a Crock Pot, this meal truly is super simple to put on the table. Throw everything together in the morning and by late afternoon your home will smell divine. We typically serve up steaming bowls of this Crock Pot White Chicken Chili with biscuits for a perfect comfort food meal.
I also suggest topping it with tortilla chips, sour cream, green onions and avocado. Add a sprinkle of freshly-ground white pepper for a gourmet twist.
Crock-pot white chicken chili
- 2 chicken breast halves
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 7 oz. can diced green chiles
- 2 cups dry Great White Northern beans, sorted and rinsed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup while milk
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- Combine all ingredients, except milk and cornmeal, in a Crock-pot and cook on low for 7-8 hours. Thirty minutes before serving, combine milk and cornmeal in a liquid measuring cup and stir. Set aside. Remove chicken to a cutting board and shred with two forks. Return chicken to Crock-pot. Pour milk/cornmeal mixture into Crock-pot. Cook on low for an additional 25 minutes.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 152kcal Calories from fat 43|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 5g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|