If you’ve recently spent any length of time perusing hobby store aisles for the perfect spring or summer wreath, you might share in my frustration. Most of what is available ready-made is a bit pitiful. I’m not a fan of gaudy florals that look about as real as a garden gnome. I wanted something with a more wild look to it, like it was gathered in the forest and pinned loosely into place. Since I couldn’t find something like that already made, I decided to create an easy DIY wild greenery wreath of my own. I’m quite please with how it turned out. And you guys, it was so ridiculously easy to make. Read on to see how I did it.
I started by making a quick trip to Hobby Lobby. They had all their florals on sale at 50% off. I also picked up a simple grapevine wreath to use as my backdrop. That wasn’t on sale but I put my weekly coupon to use and brought the purchase price down to under $3.
I found a great, wild and unruly garland that made my project so simple.
I also loved the natural look of the itty bitty white flowers on the floral bush I chose. The leaves, on the other hand, were terribly fake looking but it didn’t matter because I didn’t use them.
To create my easy DIY wild greenery wreath, I placed the garland on the grapevine wreath and trimmed the excess length.
To secure the garland to the grapevine wreath, I simply tucked the ends of the garland into the grapevine branches and weaved them in to hold in place.
I also used the thin tendril vines of the wreath to secure the garland by wrapping them around and then securing them into the back of the wreath.
Once the greenery was secured, I removed the flowers from the faux bush by firmly gripping them at the base of the flower and pulling it away from the stem.
Once all of the flowers were removed, I placed them on top of the greenery and arranged them to my liking. Once that was determined, I used a glue gun to adhere each bloom into place on my easy DIY wild greenery wreath.
Start to finish it took me less than ten minutes to put this wreath together. It was that quick and that easy. The reward is a big one, though; I’m really happy with the finished product. It has that wild and unruly look I was going for.
Here’s a quick preview glimpse at how I have it styled. Keep an eye out for an expanded look at our newly-madeover mudroom soon!