During an average week in fall and winter months, I use my Instant Pot about four times. It’s an absolute kitchen workhorse for me on a regular basis, but even more so when the temperatures dip. To keep from getting in a culinary rut, I’m constantly trying out new soup, stew and chili recipes to see which my family likes best. This Instant Pot White Chicken Lasagna Soup is the result of just such a recipe experiment. And I’m here to tell you that the whole family deemed it a winner.
Though I’m not a huge fan of Italian food, I definitely can appreciate a serving of cheesy, delicious lasagna from time to time. I’m especially fond of a good white chicken lasagna. The trouble, of course, is that making a lasagna requires more time and effort than I’m willing to invest in a typical weeknight meal. That, my friends, is one reason why this Instant Pot White Chicken Lasagna Soup is such a brilliant recipe. It allows me to savor the same creamy, comfort food flavors of lasagna in a fraction of the time. And since it’s made using pantry and fridge staples, it’s an easy choice for most any night of the week.
I use whole wheat, traditional (not oven-ready) dry pasta in this recipe and I just love the way the curly edges of the noodles look in my bowl. It really drives home the point that, indeed, this is a lasagna-inspired meal. I also incorporate a hearty helping of veggies so as to deliver a healthy meal to the table. Carrots, celery and spinach mix and mingle with tender shredded chicken, protein-packed Cannellini beans and a creamy mix of cheeses in this delicious Instant Pot White Chicken Lasagna Soup. Served alongside a slice of crust Italian bread, this recipe is a surefire win.
If your family, like mine, enjoys a hearty lasagna but you have trouble finding the time to get one on the table, I encourage you to give this Instant Pot White Chicken Lasagna Soup a try. It takes an Italian approach to the more traditional chicken noodle soup and is likely to be a hit at your dinner table.
You might also enjoy my other popular Instant Pot recipes:
Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
INSTANT POT WHITE CHICKEN LASAGNA SOUP
Similar to a deconstructed lasagna, this hearty soup is packed with veggies and protein. It delivers creamy, comfort food flavors to the table with ease.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 5 traditional (not oven-ready) lasagna noodles
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese for garnish
- red pepper flakes for garnish
- Add onion, carrots, celery, chicken breast, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, bay leaves and chicken stock to the bowl of an Instant Pot.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and move the valve to the "sealing" position. Use the digital touchpad to program the "soup" function with a cook time of 20 minutes.
- While the Instant Pot is coming to pressure and cooking, combine flour, corn starch and milk in a liquid measuring cup. Whisk until the mixture is smooth and no lumps remain. Set aside.
- Break the lasagna noodles into small, bite-sized pieces.
- When the Instant Pot has completed the cooking cycle, allow it to naturally depressurize for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and turn on the saute function. Stir in the broken lasagna noodles. Stir continuously for five minutes.
- Pour in the milk mixture. Stir continuously while the soup thickens, about three-four minutes.
- Stir in the spinach leaves and grated Parmesan cheese. Stir for two-three minutes until the spinach is wilted.
- Garnish with shredded mozzarella cheese and red pepper flakes, if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 282
Do you take the chicken out and shred it at some point?