During our recent stay on Kauai, we visited the Fresh Bite food truck in Hanalei for lunch one afternoon. They boast farm to beach food, made using fresh, local and organic ingredients. On the day we visited, I ordered the ‘Summer Kauaian.’ It was a lunch bowl made with honey mustard massaged kale, quinoa, watermelon and feta. On top, they sprinkled the local specialty: chopped macadamia nuts. It was delicious. So delicious, in fact, that when we arrived home I promptly replicated the recipe in my own kitchen. We’ve since enjoyed this dish several times and have put it on regular rotation in our summer dinner menu. Before summer slips away, I highly recommend you give this kale quinoa watermelon salad a try.
Not only is this meal bursting with summer flavor, it’s also a cinch to make. It can easily be whipped up in thirty minutes during that busy after-work, but before sports practice or dance lesson power hour. Or, since the quinoa in this application tastes great either warm or cold, you could prepare the quinoa in the morning, keep it in the fridge all day and assemble your salad in the evening. Preparation is super quick and super flexible.
This kale quinoa watermelon salad is picnic-friendly, too. If you’re fortunate enough to live in a town that hosts concerts in the park you might consider making a meal out of this dish next time.
Kale Quinoa Watermelon Salad
- 2/3 cup quinoa
- 1 1/3 cup chicken stock
For the honey mustard vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 8 cups kale, washed
- 4 cups seedless watermelon
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup feta, crumbled
- Place the quinoa in a fine metal strainer and rinse well to remove bitter flavor. In a medium saucepan, combine rinsed quinoa and the chicken stock. Bring to a low boil over medium heat. Reduce to a simmer and continue cooking for ten to fifteen minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the honey mustard vinaigrette. In a small mason jar, combine extra virgin olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard and salt and pepper to taste. Place a lid on the jar and shake vigorously until the vinaigrette is well combined. Set aside.
- Chop the kale leaves into bite-size pieces. Drizzle 1/3 cup of the prepared vinaigrette over the kale leaves and massage the dressing into the leaves. Set aside.
- Cube the seedless watermelon into bite-size pieces.
- Finely chop the macadamia nuts.
- Assemble the salad by layering the honey mustard vinaigrette-massaged kale leaves, cooked quinoa and cubed watermelon into a bowl. Sprinkle crumbled feta and chopped macadamia nuts on top. Drizzle desired amount of remaining honey mustard vinaigrette over assembled salad. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 702Total Fat: 47gSaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 390mgFiber: 6gSugar: 37gProtein: 13g
You might also enjoy:
Wheat Yeast Rolls (Texas Roadhouse Copycat)
Amazing…hard to believe it’s also healthy.