In spite of the fact that the calendar clearly shows that it’s spring, I woke up to freezing temperatures this morning and a frost warning for tomorrow morning. What’s up with that? I’ve heard that March is supposed to come in like a lion and go out like a lamb but right now, it’s still looking a whole lot like King Mufasa to me. Still, I don’t mind telling you that this stubborn weather hasn’t stopped me from bringing spring flavors into my kitchen. This Lemon Thyme Pound Cake with Honey Whipped Goat Cheese makes even frost warnings seem all the more bearable. You guys. It’s SO so good.
You might have noticed that I’m trying to take a seasonal approach to the recipes I share here on Such the Spot. And so when I was dreaming up flavor combinations for early spring, lemon popped immediately to mind. We all know that lemon and thyme go hand-in-hand so that part was pretty easy. The honey whipped goat cheese was a bit of a creative addition that I was curious, but not sure about. When I served a slice of cake to the kids for dessert, they liked it. As an afterthought, I asked if they’d like a dollop of topping and they did. I knew I had a winner when both of them enthusiastically agreed that it was SO much better served with the whipped goat cheese.
Pound cakes come in all sorts of flavors, but I’m a firm believer that lemon pound cake is the best pound cake. And this one is no exception. It’s moist and dense inside and sweet and crisp on top. The little flecks of lemon peel infuse a hint of tart lemon flavor while the butter adds depth and richness.
Okay, can we talk about this honey whipped goat cheese for a moment? Because I’m here to tell you that the honey whipped goat cheese is the proverbial cherry atop this Lemon Thyme Pound Cake with Honey Whipped Goat Cheese. Now, I know that some of you have an aversion to goat cheese and though I neither understand your position nor agree, I do understand if you feel you must forego that part of the recipe. For the rest of you, prepare to have your taste buds spoiled rotten by this amazing flavor combo.
It adds the most delicate, savory-sweet touch to this recipe. If you’are at all on the fence, let me be the first to push you into trying the topping. Just try it. After all, it wouldn’t truly be Lemon Thyme Pound Cake with Honey Whipped Goat Cheese unless you, you know, try the goat cheese. Live on the edge.
Either way, just try the recipe. It’s perfect for Easter or a celebratory spring brunch because you can make it ahead of time and slice just before serving. Enjoy!
LEMON THYME POUND CAKE WITH HONEY WHIPPED GOAT CHEESE
For the Lemon Thyme Pound Cake
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3-4 sprigs thyme
For the Honey Whipped Goat Cheese
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- pinch of fleur de sel
- Preheat oven to 350º. Prepare a 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan by lining it with parchment paper and then spraying with cooking spray.
- Place the butter and thyme in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the butter is melted. Cover and set aside to cool.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Use a fork to mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- When butter has cooled, squeeze as much butter as possible out of the thyme. Discard thyme stems. If a few thyme leaves have remained in the melted butter, don't worry; it's fine.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine sugar and lemon zest. Pulse in 6 two-second pulses. Remove the lid of the food processor and pour lemon juice over the now lemon-flavored sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla before replacing lid. Process on low speed for ten seconds. Next, slowly drizzle the thyme-infused melted butter in while the food processor is running. Using a rubber spatula, transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- Sift 1/3 of the flour mixture over the egg/sugar and whisk gently just to combine. Repeat the process two more times until all of the flour has been incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for fifteen minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 325º and continue baking until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool in pan for ten minutes and then gently remove the cake from pan and transfer it to a wire rack to cool to room temperature.
- While the cake cools, prepare the honey whipped goat cheese. In a medium bowl, combine softened goat cheese and softened cream cheese. Using a hand mixer, mix on medium speed until combined and no lumps remain. Stir in thyme, honey and fleur de sel until thoroughly combined.
- To serve: slice pound cake and top with a dollop of honey whipped goat cheese.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 527kcal Calories from fat 279|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 31g||48%|
|Saturated Fat 19g||95%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|