When it comes to dinner, I’m all about quick recipes that use real food ingredients. A recipe scores even higher with me if it also can be made in a single pan for easy cleanup. If that same recipe also tastes delicious, well, I consider that a grand slam. Agreed? If so, I’m sharing a winning recipe that you’ll want to make again and again. This one pan sausage, potatoes and broccoli dinner will be a hit with the whole family.
When you get right down to it, this is a meat and potatoes meal with a smidge of something green thrown in to satisfy my conscience. The potatoes pack a hearty punch in this dish, allowing the broccoli and sausage to play a supporting role. When cooking with potatoes, I always opt for the organic variety and this time was no exception. I used organic red potatoes in this recipe, but Yukon Gold would work just as well.
I opted for mild chicken Italian sausage, but if your palate favors a bit more heat, by all means you can sub in spicy sausage. Pork sausage is fine, too. If you’re feeling feisty, you might even buy your sausage from the meat counter and mix a couple of links of mild chicken sausage with a couple of links of spicy pork sausage for a dish with increased depth of flavor. Go ahead; live on the edge.
Everything is kicked up a notch with the addition of a simple chicken gravy and a layer of tangy white cheddar melted on top at the end. Each bite is reminiscent of a stuffed baked potato, only this version comes together a bit more quickly.
If you’ve got a busy week ahead, you might consider trying this recipe one night. Even the pickiest eaters can agree that this sausage, potatoes and broccoli dish is about as delicious as a one pan dinner gets.
One Pan Sausage, Potatoes and Broccoli
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large red potatoes, rinsed and diced
- 1 pound uncooked sausage, decased
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups broccoli florets, rinsed and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2 cups white cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Place a large (5 qt.), empty skillet on the stove and warm the pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add vegetable oil and tilt the pan to coat the bottom. Add potatoes to the hot oil and fry, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are soft through.
- Remove the cooked potatoes from the pan and allow them to drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Drain oil from the pan if necessary. Add decased sausage to the pan and brown it over medium heat until it is cooked through and no pink remains.
- Add the butter to the pan with the sausage and melt it completely. When butter is melted, add flour to the butter and sausage mixture. Stir well; the flour will coat the browned sausage. Add garlic and onion powder and stir to combine.
- Slowly pour in the chicken stock, stirring quickly the whole time. Bring it just to a boil and then return the potatoes to the pan, spreading them in an even layer.
- Add the broccoli to the pan in an even layer atop the potatoes. Do not stir. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for ten minutes.
- Remove cover and and stir to mix the broccoli into the potatoes and sausage. Sprinkle grated white cheddar cheese evenly over the top. Cover and continue to cook until cheese is melted and bubbly. Season with salt, pepper and red chili flakes to taste. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 758Total Fat: 52gSaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 1174mgFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 27g
You might also enjoy:
Sausage, peppers and pierogi skillet
Sausage, kale and butternut squash lasagna roll-ups