Have you ever visited Texas Roadhouse or Logan’s Roadhouse restaurants? If so, you might agree with me that the best part of any meal at either of those places is the fresh-from-the-oven yeast rolls that are served before the meal. I so love those rolls that I once spent months trying to replicate them at home–only I wanted a slightly healthier version. After many an attempt, I finally came up with this bread machine recipe for wheat yeast rolls. I serve them frequently when we have guests for special occasions and I can assuredly tell you that these rolls are my most complimented menu item. They are so soft to bite into, yet they have a distinctively nutty quality, thanks to the wheat flour. They’re also slightly sweet. Personally, I prefer my version over the restaurant one because the restaurant uses white flour and they have a somewhat gummy texture. Not mine.
Served with compound butter (either honey or herb) these rolls would make a delicious addition to any Thanksgiving menu. And since they are made with the help of a bread machine, they are super simple.
Bread machine wheat yeast rolls (Texas Roadhouse copycat)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small chunks
- 2 1/8 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dry milk powder
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- egg wash
- Add all ingredients to the pan of your bread machine in order listed. Program your machine to run the dough cycle as directed in manufacturer's instructions.
- When dough is finished, turn onto lightly-floured surface. Divide dough into sixteen equal portions (each should weigh about 2.5 ounces, if you have a kitchen scale and want to measure them).
- Shape each portion into a ball and place on a lightly-greased sheet pan or pie plate. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and place in warm spot. Allow rolls to rise for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Brush rolls with egg wash (egg white beat with a teaspoon of water or milk) and bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked to an internal temperature of 190º on an instant-read thermometer.
- Can be frozen for up to six weeks.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 2880kcal Calories from fat 631|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 70g||108%|
|Saturated Fat 36g||180%|
|Dietary Fiber 36g||144%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|